When searching for easy summer pasta salads recently, I came across this Romesco Pasta Salad with Burrata from Giadzy, celebrity chef Giada de Laurentiis’ website.
Of all the pasta salads I’ve made before, this one is my absolute favorite. Trust me when I tell you it’s a recipe you are going to want added to your weekly meal rotation. And if you think pasta salads are only for the warm summer months when eating cold pasta is most acceptable…think again. This dish is equally as delicious served warm, as it is served cold. So I guarantee it is something you will want to eat way into winter.
What Is Romesco Sauce?
When I think of romesco, my first thought is the Spanish version of pesto—made with a combination of roasted bell peppers and paprika instead of traditional Parmesan and basil.
Where pesto is garlicky and salty, a good romesco sauce offers a smokier, sweet taste. Both pesto and romesco sauce can be served hot or cold over pasta or as a dip for vegetables.
By now you are probably wondering what sets this pasta salad apart from others? That would be the creamy pieces of burrata cheese immersed within. Just so good on every level.
Related: 25 Cold Pasta Salad Recipes for Summer
Can I Make This Ahead of Time?
This is a great pasta salad to make a few hours or a day ahead of when you want to eat it—it holds up well, and the flavors develop even more the longer it sits.
Romesco Sauce Ingredients
- jar of roasted red bell peppers, drained
- whole roasted unsalted almonds
- garlic clove
- lemon zest
- freshly squeezed lemon juice
- kosher salt
Pasta Salad Ingredients:
- your favorite pasta, cooked
- baby arugula
- cherry tomatoes
- burrata cheese
- teaspoon kosher salt
- red pepper flakes
How to Make Romesco Pasta Salad with Burrata
The silky sauce is made by combining roasted red peppers, almonds, paprika and garlic in a food processor and blending until smooth. Finally, it’s poured over your favorite pasta shape, mixed with cherry tomatoes, arugula, and burrata and voilà: dinner is ready in mere minutes.
- To the bowl of a food processor, add the roasted red bell peppers, almonds, garlic (if using), lemon zest, lemon juice, paprika and salt.
- Pulse until blended and the almonds are chopped.
- With the machine running, slowly stream in the olive oil until the sauce is smooth and creamy.
- To a large serving bowl, add the cooked pasta, arugula and most of the cherry tomatoes.
- Pour the sauce over the pasta and toss everything together to coat well.
- Tear the burrata cheese into bite-size pieces and place evenly over the top of the bowl.
- Sprinkle with the remaining cherry tomatoes for decoration.
- Season the cheese and tomatoes evenly with the kosher salt and finish with red pepper flakes if desired.
What to Serve With Romesco Pasta Salad
Although this could easily be a main dish, it would be delicious served alongside your favorite burger or sandwich and will be a huge hit at your next backyard BBQ, picnic or dinner party.
The Best Wine Pairing
If you’re serving this as a cold pasta salad, I would recommend a California white wine like the earthy and crisp Fieldhouse 301 blend. However, if you prefer eating this warm, I would suggest an earthy bold bottle of red like the Che Fico Sangiovese.