Don’t you love when you can combine two (or more) of your family’s favorite things into one brand new meal you know they will love? Casseroles are some of my favorite meals. They can be so comforting after a long day—both to make and to eat.
Pasta is one of my guilty pleasures, and I never stop looking for new recipes for it. Chicken dishes are also something we can always add to our recipe box for new inspiration. So, imagine my joy in a baked pasta casserole that’s both simple, delicious and includes chicken plus green veggies too! Baked Chicken Tortellini Alfredo is sure to become a regular on your supper time after the first bite.
Related: 60 Best Pasta Bakes
Chicken Tortellini Alfredo
Combining chicken and tortellini pasta in a creamy Alfredo sauce is a favorite dish for so many that it is a staple in most Italian restaurants. I would guess a skillet version is probably most common, but for my family, I chose a baked casserole-type dish.
This recipe uses cooked chicken, (a great way to use leftovers), frozen cheese tortellini and frozen broccoli. But here’s the best part: The pasta or the broccoli don’t have to be thawed ahead of time. That’s right, they go into the casserole dish frozen!
Related: The Best Tortellini Alfredo Recipe
- cooked shredded chicken
- frozen cheese tortellini
- Alfredo sauce
- frozen broccoli
- chicken broth
- shredded mozzarella cheese
- italian seasoning
- dried parsley
- salt and pepper
- large mixing bowl
- wooden spoon
- 9×13 baking dish
- measuring cups/spoons
- chef’s knife
How To Make Baked Chicken Tortellini Alfredo
1. Preheat oven to 425. Grease a 9×13 baking dish. In a large bowl combines chicken, frozen tortellini and frozen broccoli.
2. Add Alfredo sauce, chicken broth, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Mix well.
3. Transfer to a prepared baking dish. Cover tightly with foil.
4. Bake for 45 minutes. Remove, uncover, sprinkle with mozzarella and parsley. Bake for 10 additional minutes until cheese has melted and top is beginning to brown.
Baked Chicken Tortellini Alfredo is a terrific weeknight meal since you can make the chicken ahead of time, and then add frozen pasta and broccoli. Shortcuts like these are what allows me to get meals on the table even when I’m super busy. And when they combine so many favorites into one bite, that’s just an added bonus!
- You need about 2 cups cooked, shredded chicken. I used three boneless breasts that I boiled. Leftover roasted or grilled chicken or rotisserie style would also work.
- Do not thaw the pasta or broccoli. Add them to the saucepan still frozen.
- Other vegetables can be swapped for the broccoli. Be aware that smaller ones like peas or corn wouldn’t need as much cooking time. I would add them when you uncover the pan. I think spinach, mushrooms or asparagus would be delicious too.
- I would not try to freeze this pan. Pasta tends to get musky in the freezer.
- I used basic jarred Alfredo, but a roasted garlic would be great.