Hamburgers are always a welcome idea for summer cookouts because they can be made to order (aka cooked and customized just the way everyone likes their burger). Add a topping bar full of natural pairings like slices of creamy cheese, rings of onions, ripe tomatoes, crisp leaves of lettuce and you have dinner!
But when the weather isn’t cooperating, or you just don’t feel like being stuck at the grill all day, there’s an easier option for making everyone’s favorite warm weather meal: air fryer burgers.
Related: Best Ninja Air Fryer Recipes
If you recently purchased an air fryer to add to your kitchen’s appliance lineup, now is the perfect time to take advantage of all that it has to offer! This is when you and the air fryer are the perfect pair to make juicy burgers together. You get the toppings and choice of condiments together while the air fryer gets the burgers ready for your hungry crowd.
Melissa Sperka of Melissa’s Southern Style Kitchen shared her recipe for the best air fryer burgers with us and you really have to give them a try this summer. These burgers get a kick from a dash of Worcestershire or steak sauce and make the best-tasting, mess-free burgers for every summer holiday. Enjoy!
Food Safety 101
When you are assembling the ingredients for your burger-fest, remember to keep raw ingredients in a separate prep space to avoid cross contamination with your other ingredients. Raw meat for hamburgers should be prepared in a bowl designated for combining hamburger meat with seasonings that are being added to the burgers like kosher salt onion and garlic powder and dried oregano. Mix ingredients and form patties to add to the air fryer.
Related: 20 Stuffed Burgers Sure to Impress All Your BBQ Guests
How to Choose the Best Ground Meat for Burgers
It makes sense that a good burger starts with picking quality ingredients. First on the list is the hamburger meat you select at the market. The goal is to always make a flavorful burger that’s juicy from start to finish and that’s why you want to read the labels of packaged meat to find the ratio of ground beef. The combination of meat will be the game changer for a juicy burger when it’s ready to be served on the bun with all the fixings. Look for a ratio of about 80/20 of fat to meat for the ground beef.
How Long to Cook Hamburgers in the Air Fryer
Once you have your burgers seasoned, you’re ready to put them in the air fryer to cook. Preheat the air fryer to 370°F, arrange the patties in a single layer in the basket of the air fryer and make sure there is enough space for each burger to allow for air flow around each patty for even cooking.
Cook the burgers for 6 minutes on the first side. Open the fryer and flip each burger and continue to cook in the fryer for an additional 3 to 5 minutes. You can check the burgers for doneness with a meat thermometer gently inserted into the burgers.
- 135 to 140 degrees yields a rare burger
- 140 to 145 degrees yields a medium burger
- 150 to 155 degrees yields a medium-well burger
- 160-degrees yields a well-done burger
Related: How Many Burgers Do You Need for Your Memorial Day Cookout? Here’s How to Tell
How Long Can Cooked Burgers Last in the Fridge?
If there are any leftover hamburgers from your feast you might be wondering how long hamburgers cooked in the air fryer can be kept in the fridge. Leftover hamburgers should not be left out on a counter for an extended amount of time. Place leftover cooked hamburgers from your air fryer meal in an airtight container and refrigerate for no longer than three to four days.
How Long Can You Keep Cooked Hamburger Meat in the Freezer?
The freezer is the best place for cooked burgers you plan to use at a later date. We like to store leftover burgers in the freezer in clear plastic freezer bags for easy reheating.
Best Air Fryer Burgers
- 1 ½lb80/20 or 85/15 ground beef`
- 2tablespoonWorcestershire sauce OR steak sauce
- 1 ½teaspoonsteak seasoning
- ½teaspoongranulated garlic
- teaspoonion powder
- 4slicesAmerican or cheddar cheese(Use your favorite)
- buns, lettuce, tomato, pickles, mushrooms, bacon, jalapenos and desired condiments for serving
How to Make Air Fryer Burgers
- Spray the basket of an air fryer with cooking spray or brush with oil. Preheat to 350°F.
- In a medium size mixing bowl, mix together beef, Worcestershire sauce, steak seasoning, garlic and onion powder. Shape into 4 even size patties about ½ – ¾ inch thick.
- Place into basket of air fryer. Cook for 6-8 minutes, then flip. Continue to cook for another 6-8 minutes. (Adjust time depending on desired doneness)
- Place one slice of cheese on each burger and let stand in basket for 5 minutes to melt.
- Serve immediately on toasted buns with desired toppings.